Best things to do in Venice
Venice is an enchanting city, and one of the most romantic places in the world. There are plenty of things to do to make the most of your visit. Whether you’re a foodie looking for an authentic culinary experience or a history buff searching for a glimpse of the past, there’s something for everyone.
The best things to do in Venice are quite long and it’s hard to decide what to do first. A walking tour, food tour, history tour? You’ve got it all covered here. In this blog, we’re telling you seven of the best things to do in Venice that will help you enjoy your trip even more.
Don’t miss out – 7 best things to do in Venice
Venetian lagoon: Gondola, Rialto, Gran Canal, Lido, Guggenheim, Murano, Burano, Torcello, and a lot more..
If you’re planning a trip to Venice, here are seven of the best things to do in Venice:
- Take a Gondola Ride – Experience Venice’s iconic canals from a gondola, the city’s traditional boat. Enjoy the stunning views of the city as your gondolier takes you through the narrow canals.
- Visit St. Mark’s Square – This famous square is the heart of the city and features stunning architecture, including St. Mark’s Basilica and the Doge’s Palace. Take a stroll through the square and explore its surroundings.
- Take a Cooking Class – Learn the secrets of traditional Venetian cuisine from a professional chef during a cooking class. Discover the city’s culinary culture and take home some new cooking skills.
- Explore the Rialto Market – Wander through the vibrant Rialto Market, where you can find fresh produce, fish, and local delicacies. It’s a great place to pick up some ingredients for your own culinary creations.
- Enjoy Venetian Cuisine – Savor the delicious traditional Venetian dishes, from fresh seafood to pasta and risotto. Try some of the city’s famous cicchetti or tramezzini in a bàcaro, you can find them quite everywhere in the city!
- Visit the Peggy Guggenheim Collection – Art lovers won’t want to miss this contemporary art museum.
- Take a Day Trip to the Islands – Visit the charming islands of Murano, Burano, and Torcello. Each island has its unique character and attractions, from glassblowing in Murano to the colorful houses in Burano.
Venice has plenty to offer, from the iconic canals and stunning architecture to the vibrant food culture and contemporary art scene. Make the most of your visit by exploring these best things to do in Venice.
Ways to tour Venice
If you want to explore this city, it’s best to do so thoroughly without missing any of the best things to do in Venice
Best things to do in Venice: Food & Wine
Venice is renowned for its rich culinary heritage and has a lot to offer to food lovers. The city is famous for its fresh seafood, delicious genuine vegetables, a unique homemade pasta, and rich wine culture. Tourists can explore local markets and food shops, and taste traditional Venetian dishes while wandering through the charming streets of the city.
Moreover, Venice offers a wide range of cooking classes that allow visitors to learn the secrets of authentic Venetian cuisine. A cooking class is an excellent way to experience the city’s food culture and indulge in its delicious dishes.
Best things to do in Venice: Walking Tours
Walking tours are a great way to explore Venice and get a feel for its unique atmosphere.
With no cars or motorbikes allowed in the city, walking is the best way to navigate the narrow streets and bridges that make up the city. Walking tours allow you to immerse yourself in the beauty and history of Venice, from the stunning architecture to the charming canals. You can stroll through the city’s picturesque neighbourhoods, discover hidden gems, and get a sense of the local culture. If you do this with an experienced guide, you’ll gain insights into the city’s history and legends and experience Venice from a unique perspective.
Whether you’re a first-time visitor or a seasoned traveler, a walking tour is a must-do activity in Venice and really one the best things to do in Venice!
Best things to do in Venice: Cultural Tours
Taking a cultural tour of Venice is a unique way to give you a sense of the history and culture of this unique city.
These tours offer a detailed overview of Venice’s history and architecture, giving visitors a unique opportunity to see Venice at its best. All of these tours include access to some of the city’s best sights, such as Piazza San Marco and the canal tour gondola ride. Tour companies offer several different types of tours, also daylong city tours. So if you’re planning a trip to Venice, consider taking a cultural tour to experience it in a unique way.
Best things to see in Venice: main cultural attractions
Venice is a city rich in culture and history, and there are many cultural sites that attract visitors from all over the world. If you’re planning a trip to Venice, be sure to check out these top cultural sites that are available to visit year-round. You can organize your visit to these places both on your own with a paper travel guide or with a guided tour.
- Saint Mark’s Basilica – This iconic cathedral is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Venice and best place to visit, its stunning architecture and intricate mosaics make it a must-see attraction. St mark’s square is the hub for tourists in Venice.
- doge’s palace– >Il Palazzo Ducale, is a masterpiece of Gothic architecture and is one of the most significant cultural sites in Venice. It was once the seat of government and now houses several museums and galleries.
- Peggy Guggenheim Collection – The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is a world-renowned museum that showcases modern and contemporary art from some of the world’s most celebrated artists.
- gallerie dell’accademia – The Gallerie dell’Accademia is one of the most important art museums in Italy and is home to a vast collection of Renaissance masterpieces.
- Teatro La Fenice – If you’re a fan of opera, then a visit to Teatro La Fenice is a must. This iconic opera house has played host to some of the world’s most famous singers and musicians over the years.
- Ca’ Rezzonico – This stunning palazzo houses the Museum of 18th-century Venice and is home to an extensive collection of art and artifacts from the period.
- Bridges: Ponte di Rialto (Rialto bridge) and Ponte dei Sospiri (bridge of Sighs) are the two most famous bridges.
These cultural sites offer a glimpse into Venice’s rich history and artistic heritage and are must-see attractions for anyone visiting the city. So, be sure to add these sites to your itinerary for an unforgettable trip to Venice.
Public transports in Venice
Venetian lagoon has a public transport system that includes water taxi, ferry boat (as a kind of water bus) and walking ways. The water taxi service runs between the various districts of the city and can be used to get around easily. Ferry boats run from one district of Venice to another and are great for getting across the lagoon and visiting the other small islands such as Burano and Murano or for going to Venezia Lido. Anyway, walking is a great way to explore Venice as it is easy to navigate and there are plenty of places where you can stop for a drink or lunch on your way. Whereas, if you’re interested in gondola rides, do it during sunset or sunrise. This is when gondola rides become especially beautiful and romantic, as the day turns into night and the city lights come on.
Top things to do in Venice
Suggested venetian itinerary
If you’re planning a trip to Venice, it’s essential not to miss some of the top things to do in Venice during your visit. Here are some ideas we suggest you to include in your itinerary:
- Boating through the water canals of Venice is an enjoyable experience and offers a great view of the city’s iconic skyline.
- Wander the streets of Venice and explore its hidden alleyways. These pedestrian pathways are filled with unique shops, cafes, and boutiques that make for a fantastic day out.
- If you’re looking for mouth-watering food, you should try venetian cuisine at one of its many restaurants. Some of the best options include pasta fresca, pizza, seafood, and more.
- If you want to get more in touch with the venetian cuisine, we totally suggest you to join one of the best cooking classes in Venice, to learn with a professional chef how to create traditional venetian dishes and recipes. For foodies, this is an interesting and exiting way to learn more about Italian culinary traditions.
- You may also want towatch the sunset over the city’s iconic skyline as it takes on a brilliant orange hue.
- After sunset, you can go to one of Venice’s wine cellars where you can taste the best local wines. If you are a wine lover, this experience will give you the opportunity to learn the secrets and curiosities about the activities related to this category.
- Lastly, you can take in a performance of opera or classical music at one of the city’s theatres. This will be a memorable experience.
What are some unique and top things to do in Venice, Italy?
Venice is a captivating city with endless attractions to explore. Whether you’re a history buff or just looking for a relaxing day out, there’s something for everyone in Venice. Some of the best attractions are all located within walking distance of each other, making it easy to combine multiple sites into one day trip.
We know it can be challenging to know where to start with so many unique things to see and do. From exploring hidden neighbourhoods to indulging in local cuisine, there’s something for everyone. There are guided walking tours, cultural tours, cooking classes, and wine tastings to choose from. Whether you’re visiting for business or pleasure, there’s sure to be plenty to do in Venice.
Be sure to check out our suggestions above about top things to do in Venice and the 7 best things to do in Venice to make your visit unforgettable!
Enjoy venetian food joining a cooking class
Are you a foodie?
If you’re looking for a unique and exciting way to spend a day in the beautiful Venice lagoon, consider joining a cooking class with professional chef. This experience will allow you to try out different Venetian dishes, learn something about the food history of the city and live the local atmosphere of the friendly venetians visiting the Rialto market. So, it has all the potential to be one of the top things to do in Venice!
During these cooking classes, you will have the opportunity to spend a few hours with a professional chef who will guide you through the process of cooking traditional Venetian dishes. From preparing fresh pasta to making seafood risotto, there’s no shortage of exciting recipes to learn. These classes are a perfect way to connect with the city’s culinary traditions and to take home some exciting new cooking skills.
The chef leading these cooking classes is highly experienced and passionate about his craft. He provides a fun and engaging experience for all skill levels, so even beginners can feel comfortable and confident in the kitchen. The classes are typically held in a warm and welcoming environment, precisely in Cannareggio, providing a unique opportunity to connect with locals and other travelers who share the same passion for food. You can choose both a private lesson or participate with small groups with a maximum of 10 persons.
These classes offer an immersive and rewarding experience that you won’t want to miss. So come and explore Venice’s vibrant food culture, and discover why it’s one of the most exciting culinary destinations in the world!
When To Visit Venice?
Venice is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and offers a variety of activities and attractions. The city is busiest during the summer months, but there are plenty of other opportunities to enjoy Venice throughout the year.
In fact, Venice is a city that can be visited year-round, with each season offering its unique charms. Whether you’re planning a summer getaway or a winter escape, there’s always something to do and see in Venice. From outdoor festivals to indoor cultural activities, the city offers a full calendar of events all year long and any time you won’t miss some of the top things to do in Venice.
- During the summer months, the weather is warm and sunny, so walking tours around the small streets and bridges, outdoor markets, wines and bàcaro tours for foodies are only some of the best and most asked top things to do in Venice.
- In the winter months, the city takes on a more peaceful and romantic atmosphere, making it a perfect time to enjoy the city’s indoor attractions, such as museums and galleries. No matter what time of year you visit, Venice is always active and worth exploring.
- At certain times of the year, mostly November and December, up to 59% of the city of Venice can be submerged underwater, causing some inconveniences. However, this phenomenon, so called acqua alta, is so unique and fascinating that it can even be fun if you come prepared. All you need is a good pair of galoshes to wade through the water and experience the city in a completely different way. In fact, this phenomenon has become a tourist attraction in itself, drawing visitors from around the world who are eager to witness the magical city of Venice in its submerged state. So, don’t let the high water levels discourage you from visiting this enchanting city. Embrace the unique experience and create unforgettable memories that will last a lifetime!
- In February, don’t miss ut the famous Venice Carnival, a worlwide known event for those who love masquerade parties.
So why not plan your trip today and experience all that this enchanting city has to offer?
So, is it Venezia worth visiting?
Yes for sure! Our lovely Venezia, a city that’s filled with history and is an attraction not just for travelers, but locals as well. It’s a city of art, food, and architecture and it’s best enjoyed by walking its narrow streets and gondola ride its canals. In addition to these things, you should also try out a venetian cooking class. This will be an experience you’ll never forget!
Our Venice cooking school is designed to help you learn venetian cuisine and cooking skills. Want to experience Venice cooking class with us? Book today! Here below our contacts:
Phone +39 348 228 4592
Follow us on INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK
Find us on EATWITH, AIRBNB and TRIPADVISOR